Saturday, March 20, 2010

Packages

The post office might be the worst thing about Arequipa.

Apparently, the system that is set up in Arequipa is not throughout all Peru.

Thank goodness for that.

Because it is a truly awful system.

Letters and cards end up getting to where they are sent fairly easily.

Small packages are fairly easy to retrieve from the post office if they aren't sent directly to the house/office.

Larger packages, or packages that concern them in any way, for any reason, are a nightmare to retrieve.

In the post office, there are two rooms. On the left side, you have to wait in line, show your passport, and they smile, give you your package, and you can leave, go home, and see all the fun stuff you got! This was my experience with the one package I have received. Actually, I didn't even have to go to the post office. Other people made the trip to get their packages, and the post office worker saw other packages going to the same address, and gave it to them to give to me. Piece of cake.

However, there is another room. This room is open from 8:30-10:00 am and 2:00-3:00 pm. No, I am not making those hours up. So you show up before the door is opened to get in line. Hopefully at the beginning of the line since each person takes about 30 minutes to get their package. You need to copies of your passport to get your package from this room. You have to fill out forms and show them all the contents of your package. The people are rude, and haven't ever heard of customer service.

After spending two afternoons at the post office this week, I am torn about really wanting packages. Actually, that's a lie. Packages are great. And if the package had something I really wanted in it (ahem- Cadbury Mini Eggs!) I would gladly spend 5 hours or more at the post office. And I would leave with a smile on my face.

So if you are interested in sending me anything, my address is:


Cailyn Stevens
c/o Extreme Nazarene Ministries
Av. Lima 110
Yanahuara, Arequipa, Peru


Boxes should be shoebox size, and you have to mark on them that they are worth less than $50 or it will be sent to the bad room. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment