Friday, October 12, 2012

Twenty Three and Restless

Twenty-three.

I told a few people that I thoroughly expected to arise this morning to discover a face filled with wrinkles and a head of gray hairs, to match my now elderly stage of life.

Obviously, it didn't work that way.

But I did celebrate a wonderful birthday in Ecuador. And I realized that I have spent all of my twenties in South America.

I said that I would be celebrating my birthday all month this year. What that really entails is considering everything special, unusual, or exciting that happens in October to be specifically for my birthday. (Whether that is the case or not is IRRELEVANT.) So yesterday I had a "birthday pedicure" and tomorrow I am going out "for my birthday." Like I said, the fact that these events would take place whether it were my birthday or not just doesn't matter!

After awaking this morning and seeing there were still no wrinkles or grays to be found, I received a cinnamon roll from Shirley for breakfast, candle and all! Then I made myself a Starbucks Pumpkin Spice VIA (courtesy of Tyler and Amy Liebelt).

I had a fairly relaxing day, even treating myself to Oreos with Peanut Butter (courtesy of Rachel Kuhn!).
Tonight, I was taken out to dinner with the missionaries, and had a little party after, with delicious cake and ice cream!

I end the day feeling extremely blessed and spoiled.

And this afternoon, I began to listen to a playlist from my iTunes titled, "October"-- a playlist I created two years ago. Birthdays tend to make one nostalgic... It's funny how much has changed, and how much hasn't.

Because the first song of the playlist is Audrey Assad's, "Restless."


"And I'm restless, I'm restless until I rest in you, 'til I rest in you. 
Still my heart, hold me close 
Let me hear, a still small voice 
Let it grow, let it riseInto a shout, into a cry. 
And I'm restless, I'm restless until I rest in you, 'til I rest in you 
I wanna rest in you oh God."

And on this day I celebrate twenty-three years on this precious earth, that is how I feel.

"If our deepest desires cannot be satisfied in this world, then we must be made for another."

I know that the deepest desires of my heart are only truly satisfied in Kingdom Come. I am yearning for a Savior, longing for the day when all things are made new. When we finally reach the peak of what it means to know God, and exist in His presence.

I hope to have many more happy birthdays in this earth, but all the best moments of this life are only a shadow of what is to come. And I want to keep that in perspective as I really do develop wrinkles someday, and see so much more change in this life. I am restless until I rest with the Liberating King.

But thank you for helping make this birthday special.

Grace and peace,
Cailyn

No comments:

Post a Comment