Monday, September 17, 2012

Crazy Discipleship


I have been GREATLY impacted by something I read recently in Francis Chan’s book, Crazy Love.

It has been several years since I read it, and I still think it is fantastic.

And I am thinking a lot these days about what discipleship actually looks like.

I want to be a disciple. I want that to be my identity.

Cailyn Stevens: disciple of Jesus Christ.



And I want to be characterized by the things that characterize Jesus.

First: love.

Chan talks about 1 Corinthians 13, and he makes a suggestion to us: to try to replace “love” in this passage with our names.

For me it would read:

Cailyn is patient and kind. She does not envy or boast. She is not rude or proud. Cailyn is not easily angered, and she keeps no record of wrongs. Cailyn does not delight is evil, but rejoices with the truth. She always protects, always hopes, always trusts, and always perseveres.

I must say, that is a little convicting.

But I want to be love embodied, and ultimately to represent Christ well.

I want to be a disciple. And I want to continue discovering what discipleship truly looks like. I plan to make it a further blogging topic.

But let’s make it a dialogue… what does being a disciple of Christ look like to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment