Friday, September 14, 2012

Intense (Colombia Part 2)


This time in Cali was intense. My schedule had me in the church praying every day, often for more than six hours a day. That sounds completely overwhelming! But I have to seek God earnestly in prayer to prepare for what comes next for me.

So yeah, it is intense, but isn’t God worth it?

I think most people are afraid to get alone with God, especially for any extended period of time. After all, He might start to speak, and ask something of me.

When we get alone with the Almighty, we can’t hide behind ANYTHING. God doesn’t look at the outward appearance; He looks at the heart. And He sees the deepest places, the ones we try to pretend aren’t there. When we get alone with Him, He lays every part of us bear. The sin we are so dreadfully ashamed of has to step into the light—fully exposed.

Then, there is nothing left to say but, “Lord, have mercy on me, a sinner.”

There is so much FREEDOM in that, but it might very well be the scariest thing in the world.

But I have this idea, that THIS PLACE is where we find holiness. He dresses us in His righteousness, and when confronted with that kind of love and mercy, it demands from us a response. We can either take off the new garment and return to our filthy sin, abandoning God’s presence, or we can live in the light, remaining in His presence forever, covered by the blood of Jesus and empowered by the Holy Spirit.

Totally free. And free to struggle to stay in the light.


No comments:

Post a Comment