Friday, April 2, 2010

Semana Santa Thoughts

So I know I haven't been blogging as much as I should these days. The truth is, I have so many ideas, but just haven't had the time to put pen to paper, as they used to say. Of course now it's like fingertips to keys.

Anyway, I just wanted to post a couple quick thoughts. I think it will be quick anyway. In actuality, speaking English has been becoming harder and harder. I have so many typos these days because I've forgotten how to spell in English that this could be a very long process.

Once again-- anyway, it is the Thursday of "Semana Santa." See, Holy Week is a very big deal here. I kind of think that since Catholics make such a big deal about it that the Evangelical church has kind of downplayed it. Nonetheless, it is the evening of Maundy Thursday, the day before we commemorate the crucifixion, the night Jesus spent with his disciples celebrating the Passover.

Now if we were Jewish, especially back in the day, we would look at this story a lot differently. Because when Jesus offered the cup of wine to his disciples, it was reminiscent of a marriage proposal to them. See, a Hebrew man would meet up with a girl's parents to let them know he wanted to marry their daughter. They would figure out what exactly this would cost him, in sheep and goats or whatever. Then he would get to formally propose to his bride. He would do this by pouring a cup of wine and offering it to her; she got to choose whether or not to drink it, but if she did, they were engaged.

Once they were officially betrothed, he would begin to build their future home, an addition on to his parents home. But they had to be separated during this time. Do you remember what Jesus told his disciples shortly before he was taken away from them? He said, "In my Father's house, there are many rooms. I am going there to prepare a place for you, but if I go, I will come back for you so that you can be where I am."

Then he had to pay the dowry. And he payed a very high price for his bride. It cost him his life.

After a Hebrew woman was betrothed though, she was now called "The One Who Was Bought With a Price." That was her name. The Bride of Christ, the Church, was certainly bought with a very high price.

And as I think about the Last Supper tonight, I think about Jesus Christ offering me a cup. A cup that represents his love for me. A cup that represents his sacrifice of blood. A cup that reminds me that I am his betrothed. A cup that calls me into relationship with him. A cup that makes me want to no longer be his wayward wife, but instead a faithful one.

I hope you are reminded of this as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment