Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Seek His Kingdom

My mom wrote an article for examiner.com about her time in Peru and what God is doing there in Cincinnati. Who says you have to be in a foreign country to extend the kingdom of God?

Guess what?

YOU DON'T!

Find your mission field.

Go where God is calling you.

Do small things with great love.

Seek first the kingdom of God.

And you know what happens? All the other things, the things you worry about that keep you from giving your resources away, that keep you from sharing the gospel, that keep you in a job you hate...

*They will be added to you as well*

Seek his kingdom.

Get inspired to find your mission field, and do what God is calling you to do.

And read my mom's article: http://www.examiner.com/christian-spirituality-in-cincinnati/where-is-your-mission-field-part-2-what-i-m-going-to-speak-about-this-sunday

Because you know what?

Jesus didn't promise it would be easy. As a matter of fact, he promised it would be hard. But he promised  that he would be with us.

I experienced one of those sacrifices of missionary life last week. Aunt Do passed away August 12. Besides my parents and brothers, she is pretty much my closest relative. And while I pretty much said goodbye to her when I left for Peru, I wanted another chance to say goodbye, to pay my respects to an amazing woman who greatly influenced who I am today.

But that wasn't possible. So I missed her funeral. I was here in Peru.

So a lot of people would call that a sacrifice.

But let me tell you what I did on the days of her visitation and funeral:

I went to a women's prison and showed those women the love of God. I gave hand massages to women with tough, dry, leathery skin. And I shared with them the amazing love story we have with Jesus Christ. I invited them to recommit their lives to Christ.

I went to a hospital and prayed with people. I spoke to a mother whose son can't walk because of a car accident. I heard of her struggles, with her family, money, and her broken heart over her young son who spends his days in a hospital. And I told her that God cares about her struggles. And together we gave them over to God.

I went to a preschool. I watched three and four-year-olds struggle with the concept of musical chairs. I watched their eyes light up over receiving a balloon and some candy. And I saw them dedicate their lives to Christ for the first time.

Some people would call missing things at home a struggle, a hardship, a sacrifice.

But look what I got to do instead.

I am seeking first the kingdom of God. And God is adding WAY more than I ever imagined or asked.

1 comment:

  1. thats an awesome blog. im glad you pushed through and are able to see the light at the end of what apeard to be darkness. Amen!!!

    ReplyDelete