Friday, April 22, 2011

Bad Friday by Brooke Luby

(Sometimes, you just need a little sarcasm to illuminate the misconceptions and be free.)
Let me drag you down from the cross
I am strong enough, i have built my strength
Let me dip this sponge in some old wine
and try to quench your thirst
I watched you give everything for me
and I flat out said I didn’t know you
So please, just let me make it up for you
I want to give you back the 30 shekels that was wasted
I will get revenge for you, don’t worry
you will receive the reward of your suffering
You must need me
You must want me
to put on a red cape and try to fly
You must expect so much of me
After all, you died
Your kids are dying and no ones rescuing
Your teens are sinning and no ones stopping
the filth is everywhere
I can smell it and it makes me sick
But I am yours
I am not like them
I better get up and work while there is still time
You must need me
You must want me
to pull out my light saber and fight
You must demand everything of me
After all, you died
We are running out of time
It’s their will be done,
on earth, as it is in hell
Wait, what’s that ripping sound?
Does anyone have a sewing kit?
I can fix the curtain in your house,
I can fix the world, I am sure of it
It’s burning and all’s I can see is the fire
So let me train and prepare for war
I thought you said you were enlisting me
Isn’t that what you whispered, before you took your last breath?
Or did I misinterpret?
*************************************************************
God doesn't need me.

God doesn't need me.

All my work, my ministry, my life, it doesn't actually mean anything.

Because God doesn't need me.

His work on the cross is complete. There is grace to cover all my sins. There is redemption. There is justification. There is salvation.

If only I could realize that I can't earn it.

I cannot earn something that has already been earned for me. I can't be good enough, smart enough, pretty enough, motivated enough. On my own, I am never enough.

But Jesus Christ was enough for me. 

That is why it is GOOD Friday.

What I'm facing here is mostly a skewed gospel that says you have to earn your salvation. Your work, plus what Jesus did for you, earns your salvation.

But there is no Good News in that.

The good news is that we don't have to, and in fact we CAN'T earn our own salvation.

But it is ours for the taking.

If only we could realize, we can't earn it.

No comments:

Post a Comment