Saturday, September 25, 2010

You Had a Bad Day

Bad days come.

They come for everyone. Christian or not. Missionary or not. They are pretty much inevitable.

And I know, I know, it's all in how you respond to things. It's all about your attitude. Joy doesn't depend on our circumstances. Blah, blah, blah.

Not that those things aren't true, but sometimes, you're just having a bad day and no cliché is going to fix that.

Now today is a fine day. And for me, fine days come around a lot more often than bad days.

But Tuesday was a bad day. Tuesday was our second day in a row without water. Tuesday, I really needed a shower and at 6:00 am when I went to brush my teeth, I realized that I would not be taking a shower that day, cold or otherwise.

And that made me kind of a grump from the very beginning.

But then I had my personal devotional time and we had Extreme prayer time, and that was fine, although I did have kind of a culture clash, if you want to call it that. And culture clashes come, and you work through them.

Then we had class, and that was fine, except that we learned that this week we have classes in the morning and afternoon. That makes for an exhausting week.

Then after class, Ester and I had a meeting, which led me to another culture clash. Two in one day is rare for me seven and a half months in to my time in Peru.

And I was just overwhelmed by the bad day.

Then after dinner, (dinner was TACO SALAD! That right there could have made up for the bad day!) we went to have English worship time. The sanctuary was occupied, so we went to the only unoccupied place in our house/church. But apparently our singing was too loud, and they asked us to go somewhere else. There was no where else to go.

So we went outside and worshipped God on the sidewalk across from the church. That was exciting! We had taxis driving 1 mph past us. And people came out of their houses to see what was going on. We had one guy walk past us three times. We had a drunk guy yell something at us. And we had a man stop and listen, keep walking, and look at the signs on the church that told him we are missionaries with the Church of the Nazarene. There were 1,001 distractions. But who knows what will come of the people who saw and heard us?

No comments:

Post a Comment