Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Greed and Gratitude

During our time in Cusco, we did devotions with the short-term group. They brought down with them a devotional study over Ephesians, and I have been doing it ever since.

Today's was about Ephesians 5:15-21.

It talked about gratefulness, and asked us to make a list of the intangibles in life we are thankful for, as well as a list of all the material possessions for which we are thankful.

This hit me hard. I know that when I came to Peru, I packed up my entire life into two suitcases. I have since accumulated more things, so everything I have here wouldn't fit into two suitcases again, but for most people, that doesn't seem like much stuff. So you might think I don't have a problem with materialism.

I would offer that you are wrong.

At any given moment, I have a list of things I want to receive from home.

But guess what? I don't have a list of the things I am thankful for in my life.

I have another problem. I used to think internet shopping was a fantastic invention. It is how my mom does all of her shopping. And being in Peru, it means I am only a click away from going shopping at my favorite store Target.

And Amazon. Boy do I spend a lot of my time on Amazon. It's because I love books and music. Two of my loves in life. But my affection for Amazon goes deeper. As you may know, Amazon.com gives you recommendations based on things you say you own, have bought before, or are on your wishlist. If something pops up that you want, you can add it to your wishlist, or if you already have it, you click "I own it."

I LOVE clicking "I own it."

It is my favorite part of shopping on Amazon. It's like I get extra worth from owning that book or CD. I can't do it enough.

You know what? That is called GREED.

Now this post is pretty confessional, so I hope you will read it with grace. I just wanted to share with you that my devotional this morning hit me hard. I want to spend way more time listing the things I am thankful for in my life than listing what I want. God has already given me way more than I deserve. That is called GRACE. So even if he never blesses me with one other thing, what he has already given me is ENOUGH.

"Greed slits the throat of thankfulness and materialism drains us of Christ's life blood in us."

Let's exercise some gratitude today.

Father God, I never want to cease to be thoroughly thankful for your grace in my life. Lord God, when I think of the amazing blessings I have in my life, tangible but especially intangible, let it bring me to my knees. God I am overwhelmed! Thank you for sending your Son to die for me so that I might enter into your presence. Thank you for the love that covers me. Thank you for making me whole. Thank you for calling me to do your will. You took my unworthiness and you gave me your strength to be able to get up everyday and live through your Spirit. Thank you for the friendships you have given me, and the family I have who are always there for me. Thank you for the amazing hope I have everyday in you, and in a more bright future, because I serve a God who works all things together for good. God I am humbled to think about all the blessings I have received. It is all GRACE, even the breath I just took. I am sorry for the times I have not been thankful. Purify my heart to be filled with gratitude in every moment. I love you and praise you and give you all of me.

1 comment:

  1. "o man" that was ballin. your blogs never sees to amaze me how awesome your blogs are

    ReplyDelete