Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Best of 2012

I am not a music critic.

          And plenty of people really don't care for the music I like.


                    Nevertheless, music is very important for me. And I like to reflect on it.


So here is my list of the best songs and albums of 2012, in alphabetical order by band:


"Wake Up" by All Sons and Daughters from Reason to Sing
  • All Sons and Daughters is one of my favorite worship bands, lifting up honest worship for the church to the Savior. This song is a call for the church to wake up, rise, and carry her cross.

"After All (Holy)" by David Crowder Band from Give Us Rest
  • The lyrics in the verses of this song are incredible. "I can't comprehend your infinitely beautiful and perfect love. Oh, I've dreamed dreams of majesty as brilliant as a billion stars, but they're never bright enough."
"Skyline Hill" by Jenny and Tyler from Open Your Doors


"I Will Wait" by Mumford and Sons from Babel

"Little Talks" by Of Monsters and Men from My Head Is An Animal


"Build Your Kingdom Here" by Rend Collective Experiment from Homemade Worship by Handmade People


"Over the Moon" by Rosie Thomas from With Love

  • One of my favorite love songs ever.
"When We Were Young" by Sucre from Minor Birds

"The Struggle" by Tenth Avenue North from The Struggle

  • This entire album is fantastic, and I actually considered doing a blog series to review it. Instead, this is me HIGHLY suggesting you support these guys and get this album. Surprisingly, based on the title, this is a hopeful album, reminding us that we are strangers here, redemption will win, there is still grace, we have freedom in Christ to struggle, and the struggle will end. I can't recommend this band or this album enough.
"Daughter" and "Will You Love Me" by The Vespers from The Fourth Wall

  • This whole album is amazing, and holds your attention with its incredible diversity. I can't even pick just one, because I love the whole album.








Honorable Mentions:

Derek Webb, Ctrl (I always love Derek Webb.)
Heath McNease, The Weight of Glory (This album is written based on the works of CS Lewis, and it is more than worth a listen. You can also download it for free legally HERE.)
Pomegranates, Heaven (I grew up with the keyboardist/singer of this band.)

And as I've done for the last couple years, I want to feature my best posts of 2012, the things you may have missed from this year:
  1. There's a Party In Heaven
  2. It's Over, But Not Really
  3. False Peaks
  4. Intense
  5. Crazy Discipleship
  6. Cost of Discipleship
  7. Twenty-Three and Restless
  8. Mobilizing Ecuador Doesn't Get Sweeter Than This 
  9. I Want Joy
  10. First Love
Thank you for being a part of my 2012. May God bless you abundantly in the coming year!

And don't forget to check back for the Twelve Days of Christmas, Extreme style, beginning December 25th! I've been working hard on this, so I hope you enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment